Reading The Lord of the Rings this most recent time introduced me to something very interesting about Chapter 8 of The Return of the King. According to Tolkien's own words and alluded to throughout the narrative, the Scouring of the Shire was "foreseen from the outset." This strikes me as somewhat odd since the whole story seems to hinge on the destruction of the ring, and while this may partially be Tolkien's intention, I think his decision to conclude the dramatic side of the story through sacking the Shire indicates that something more was behind his plans. The Lord of the Rings was more than just a story of destroying a horrible evil. It is also a catalog of personal growth.
Each of the four hobbits left the Shire not quite understanding what dangers and perils they would find themselves in. Frodo did not yet understand the full corruptive power of the ring, Sam had not yet foregone the comforts of home for the discomforts of the road, Merry had not yet developed the full attributes of a leader, and Pippin had not yet found his courage. However, upon return to the Shire, each one had gone through numerous trials, encountered great difficulties, and experienced tragic loss, and through these, they grew into the hobbits they were supposed to be. I hesitate to argue this, but perhaps their transformations and the final trial of the Scouring provide the climax of the entire story.
Additionally, we discussed throughout the semester various instances in which Tolkien alludes to what is to come. The history of the Old Forest, Sam's vision in the Mirror of Galadriel, and the spoils of Isengard all tease what will happen to their beloved home, and I suppose I was able to better catch these references this time around. Still, something I haven't considered until writing this post is that these references I listed all involve a hobbit. Merry retells the story of the forest, Sam looks into the mirror, and Merry and Pippin discover the pipeweed after Saruman's defeat. I think this small detail is tremendously important. If Tolkien alluded to this event primarily through Gimli, Legolas, or even Aragorn (though I think his role as a Ranger guarding the free lands of the West might excuse him), the gravity of the hobbits' discovery would not be as poignant.
This chapter remains one of my favorites in all of The Lord of the Rings. The idea that life continues on, even after the destruction of the evil ring, is important to me. I'm a steadfast believer in the concept of happy endings (or eucatastrophe, if you please), and I can also appreciate Tolkien's writing his ending to be more reflective of real life. Struggles will spring up sometimes where we least expect them, but ultimately hope and joy will still prevail.
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
No comments:
Post a Comment