While we were discussing all our final thoughts and takeaways from the semester, I could not help but consider how earlier on during the semester I felt like Bilbo Baggins in the early chapters of The Hobbit. You see, I classify myself as being more introverted, and I'm generally pretty quiet in class discussions. In fact, I normally begin to fret when I hear that a large percentage of my final grade will come out of participation points. I confess I began to worry at the beginning of this semester. Just like Bilbo had no original interest in going on an adventure, so too did I not initially want to use my voice during classtime.
However, we all know how the story goes. Bilbo wakes up to find the dwarves out of his house, but without much choice of his own, he is shoved out his door by Gandalf to accompany Thorin and his band on their great quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain. Well, I feel like my Bag-End is my reserved attitude, and this class served as Gandalf, giving me the shove out the door and out of my comfort zone.
Yet, for all my early fears about having to speak up and engage in discussion, I return to my hobbit hole quite changed. I felt so comfortable in this class to share my opinions, ask questions, and ultimately be an active participant to a degree unlike any other Honors class I have taken. Like all the hobbits in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when they returned to the Shire, I feel different, and this in a good way. With the semester coming to a close, I return to my metaphorical Bag-End of introversion. While that is still who I am, I don't feel like I have to hide behind that every time I enter a classroom anymore. In fact, I'm already eager to revisit Rivendell, the Lonely Mountains, and Lake-town to see whether this most uncharacteristic change will persist. I believe it will.
So, with that being said, I want to thank Dr. Donovan and the rest of the class for a fantastic semester, one that will go down in the books as one the strangest but more importantly one of the fondest. Have a great summer, and perhaps our paths will cross again when we are all able to pop out of our hobbit holes once more.
Signing out,
Aragorn (Daniel)
I definitely agree with much of what you said. I think this class was good for us introverts. I appreciate your comparison to Bilbo too, and find it really relevant.
ReplyDelete