We talked in class a little today how it was really cool to hear about Tolkien's sources when it came to writing his stories of Middle-earth. I wanted to include a little portion of my revised paper that talks a lot about the sources that Tolkien drew from Finland:
"believe that Finland's landscape was Tolkien's inspiration for many places within
Middle-earth like Mirkwood and other woodland realms. When I think of Middle-earth, the first
images to cross my mind are wide open countryside’s, densely populated forests, and steep
cliff sides carved by a river. Many people attribute this atheistic found in Middle-earth to
Switzerland, which I must agree with wholeheartedly. However, I will also argue that these
surroundings can also be found elsewhere in Europe. Finland is Europe’s most forested country
having about 70% of the land covered with trees. “The country lends itself to
a sense of magic and mystery”. For this reason, I believe that Mirkwood could be
inspired, at least in part, by the forests and natural landscape of Finland."
No comments:
Post a Comment