I mentioned this to Dr. Donovan after our last class, but I just wanted to share a really cool way this class has led to a lot of great conversation and reading for my family. My grandma has been a lifelog Tolkien fan, and so I wrote her an email at the beginning of he semester letting her know that I had registered for this class,. Since then, we have regularly kept in touch about what we have learned and talked about in this class, and have our own discussions about different pieces of Tolkien's writing. She has also recommended different short stories and essays to me that we didn't cover in this class, so I will definitely have a lot of Tolkien to read continuing into the summer as well. It was really great that we got to talk about what makes Tolkien's writing influential and meaningful across multiple generations, because these conversations with my 85 year old grandma really prove that point even more. It amazes me that more than 10 years after I read my first book by Tolkien (The Hobbit), his literature continues to impact my life in new ways.
Thank you everyone for making this such a great class, stay safe, healthy, and read on!
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
No comments:
Post a Comment