This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Sunday, May 3, 2020
The Return of the King, Book VI, Chapters 4-9
Having finished The Lord of the Rings, I feel kind of sad. I'm not sure if anyone else can relate to what I'm about to say but, whenever I finish reading the books or watching the movies, I'm left feeling kind of empty, because it's over, and wanting because I wish there was more to the story. That being said, its really amazing how J.R.R. Tolkien was able to bring his story full-circle, cover all his bases so that, despite our sadness over the story's end, we are left feeling satisfied. In my opinion, that is why he chose to have such a long ending. A point was made during our meeting that a story only ends when you decide it does, or at least something to that effect was said. The idea that no story is truly over really intrigues me, especially because I never want the stories I love to end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally get that feeling of emptiness. I feel it too. But what helps diminish that is that there are still hundreds, maybe even thousands, of pages Tolkien wrote on Middle-earth that I have yet to read. So although Sam and Frodo are gone, the story lives on, and I still have it to look forward to, whenever I can get around to it.
ReplyDeleteI definitely understand how you feel and I felt the same way when I finished the last chapter. Finishing a book always feels so bittersweet because the story has concluded which fills you with happiness that there is a resolution with all the characters but when you really enjoy a book it feels like you are saying goodbye to these same characters.
ReplyDelete