Wednesday, January 29, 2020

I'm Merry

Hi, My name is Meriadoc Brandybuck. Please call me Merry. I am a very unusual hobbit, because I am interested in the world outside of the shire. I am fascinated by maps, and I always listen attentively to Bilbo's stories when I get the chance. I was instrumental in figuring out the existence of the ring, and subsequently plotting along with Pippin and Sam to go with Frodo on his quest.

At the breaking of the Fellowship I was captured by the Uruk-Hai of Isengard, along with Pippin, after they killed Boromir. Pippin and I managed to escape during the Uruk-Hai's fight with the Rohirrim. Then we fled in to the forest of Fangorn and helped rouse the Ents to crush Isengard.

In the battle of the Pelennor fields I snuck up behind the Witch-king of Angmar and cut into the back of his leg, giving Eowyn the chance to cut him down. 

My opinion on Merry is mixed. I have always viewed Merry and Pippin (I can only think of them as a unit really) as the dumbest and least useful members of the fellowship. However they both manage to prove their bravery later on, and on my second read through of the books I have gained more of an appreciation for their willingness to go to Mordor with Frodo, and failing that, their decisions to fight. all the other members of the fellowship have more of a clear purpose, and most of them have more experience, but Merry is able to end up doing a great deed on the fields of Pelennor. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Merry and Pippin! I agree that they can sometimes seem a little useless in terms of helping the Fellowship fight however, they provide that comedic relief that is so necessary when reading such a serious book like The Lord of the Rings. They remind me a lot of Fili and Kili from the movie versions of The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Merry!
    You are one of my favorite characters in the books. Even though the two of us seem foolish or unhelpful, in the end we show that courage can be found in the smallest and most unlikely creatures, which is an encouraging thought. Friendship is also a valuable theme that we reinforce, since it is such a central part of the stories.

    ReplyDelete