I am one of the Maiar (or Ainur), one of five Istari (Wizards)
sent to Middle Earth to oppose Sauron during the Third Age, second to Saruman. A
great many names have since been given to me. Although I was originally named Olórin
when in Valinor, you may know me as Gandalf the Grey (and later Gandalf the White).
To the Elves I am Mithrandir (the Grey Pilgrim), to the Dwarves I am Tharkûn,
and to the Hobbits of the Shire I am “that dratted wizard” constantly leading
the Baggins’ into unhobbit-like adventures (The Fellowship).
You may first have seen me when I decided that Bilbo Baggins
could do with an adventure, whether he agreed with me or not. I guided the
Company of Dwarves when I could, and with the White Council (including Saruman,
Galadriel, Círdan,
and Elrond) I attacked Dol Guldur and the Necromancer (Sauron).
After Bilbo returned home, I kept an eye on him and the Shire
and eventually discerned the identity of the One Ring. Aragorn and I searched
for Gollum, discovering eventually that through him, Sauron had learned of the One
Ring’s location. I advised Frodo to leave as soon as possible, but was betrayed
by Saruman, so I only met up with Frodo and his companions (the other hobbits
and Aragorn) at Rivendell where the Fellowship was formed.
Upon reaching Moria, I battled and slayed the Balrog, sacrificing
myself for my mission, and Eru Ilúvatar sent my spirit back to Middle Earth, allowing me to
use more of my powers as Gandalf the White to support those opposing Sauron. I
advised the Army of the West to act as a distraction to buy Frodo time, which
thankfully worked.
After more than 2000 years away, I returned to Valinor alongside
Frodo, Bilbo, Elrond, and Galadriel.
My namesake is one of the most confusing characters to me,
since he has so much influence and is seen so differently by so many different
people. If I had only watched the movies I would never have known half so much
about him, nor how powerful he was!
Hello Gandalf, my friend!
ReplyDeleteI have to agree that you are quite an perplexing character and have a great amount of depth and traits that are perceived differently by the variety of peoples you interact with! Although they do many things well, the movies don't quite convey the true power of your being!