Hey dol!
I am called Tom Bombadil and I am quite a peculiar figure! I live close by the Old Forest with my lovely wife Goldberry, the daughter of the River. I am the Eldest and I have seen all the different beings and creatures come and go throughout their lands and through the ages. That being said, I have little interest in the goings-on outside my domain and would much rather sing my songs and spend time within the regions of my land.
Although the beginning of my existence is tricky to put a pin on, I first arrive in the story of the Ring when Frodo Baggins and his fellow hobbits, Merry, Pippin and Sam, have a unfortunate encounter with Old Man Willow in the Old Forest. After this event, Goldberry and I hosted the hobbits in our home where they could rest, feast, and enjoy all my fantastic stories. It is at this point that it is revealed that the Ring holds no power over me, let alone any noticeable effect. However, as I stated before, I have no desire to do anything with it as it concerns happenings outside my domain.
Personally, I find Tom Bombadil's character fascinating and I wish he appeared more actively in the rest of The Lord of the Rings series besides in The Fellowship of the Ring. I have a feeling he's one of Tolkien's more allegorical characters since he's so ambiguous, so I look forward to possibly learning more about him.
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Tom Bombadil was the first person that I remember reading about in the books that was not in the movies. I am excited to read more about Tom Bombadil, even if it isn't in the required readings for the class.
ReplyDelete