This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Saturday, February 1, 2020
I am Elwing
I’m also known as Elwing the White. I am the wife of Earendil the Mariner, mother of twins Elrond and Elros. I can speak to birds and transform into a swan. I am half-elven, but chose to be counted among the Elves, because of my grandmother, Luthien. When the Sons of Feanor came to the Havens of Sirion, to claim the Silmaril I possessed, I threw myself into the sea and became a great white bird. My grandchildren are twins—it runs in the family—Elladan and Elrohir, and Arwen Undomiel. The White Tower of Elwing was built for me to live in, so I could see my husband as he drew near the Earth from the Heavens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had no idea that this character had the ability to transform into a swan! That's kind of crazy lol. It just goes to show that there is still so much for me to learn about Tolkien and his stories. I am super excited to continue reading more of his works and learning new things about them. This class is going to be so awesome!
ReplyDelete