Tuesday, January 28, 2020

I am Samwise

I am currently reading through Lord of the Rings for the first time so I tried to do as little external research on my pseudonym as possible for this post. So far, I have read "The Hobbit" and most of "The Fellowship of the Ring". As far as I know, Samewise Gamgee is the chief supporting character of the Lord of the Rings. He accompanies Frodo during his travels, beginning at the shire. He originally worked for the Baggins' estate doing gardening and landscaping. This is initially how Sam overheard details regarding Frodo's departure from the shire. Sam seems to be a fairly adventurous hobbit, and a very loyal one at that. Sam was willing to drop everything and leave the shire with Frodo. Sam is as good a friend as anyone could ask for.     

2 comments:

  1. Sam you're the best! (I think this is true both in and out of character as Merry) your evaluation of Sam's place in the fellowship is quite accurate, and will become even more so as you read further. Enjoy the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too concur and wish to jump on the Samwise Gamgee fan train, though I feel I must assure you all that this is not solely because my pseudonym is Samewise’s daughter. Both Frodo and Samwise are the everyman’s character in The Lord of the Rings, but between the two I connect to Sam more. Frodo is the main ring bearer that is true. However, there are numerous times throughout the story that, save but for the aid and heroism of Sam, Frodo would have certainly failed his mission. In a day and age where one can make someone’s acquaintance at the drop of the hat and have hundreds of alleged friends on social media, Samwise Gamgee stands as a shining example of what true friendship, true camaraderie, looks like. Might I also dare say, a shining example of agape?

    ReplyDelete