If you had to pick one text from our syllabus this term as your favorite, what would it be and why did you pick that one? What does it mean to you? How will you carry that text with you beyond this course?
In a different vein, what text did you find the most thought-provoking and enlightening about our topic, whether or not it was your favorite? Why this text?
Conversely, which text did you find least helpful or interesting in thinking about Tolkien's work? What forms the basis for your reaction to this text? Personal analysis or bias, lack of time spent on it in class or in your own study, difficulty of text?
My favorite text was the Silmarrilion. I really love Tolkien's mythology and I think having the context for whats happening in the lord of the rings makes the story a lot more powerful.
ReplyDeleteI'd say "On Fairy Stories" was the most thought provoking. I think reading in Tolkien's own words his philosophy behind writing fantasy is really illuminating and I feel like the points from that essay have stayed with me throughout the semester.
I'd say that Beowulf was the least helpful. I think the story is really interesting but reading it just wasn't a pleasant experience. I think when I don't like the writing of something its harder for me to absorb it.