Sunday, April 26, 2020

Personal Thoughts on Frodo's Success

While I was unable to attend and/or participate in Thursday's debate over whether Frodo was or was not successful in his quest, I would like to contribute to the discussion, however late I may be. First I would like to define what I consider "success" to be in this case. Success is whether Frodo was able to destroy the one ring of power. Personally, I find that Frodo was partly successful in his quest. Without Frodo, and Sam for that matter, the one ring of power would not have been able to make it across Middle Earth to Mount Doom, the only place where it could truly be destroyed. However, I say partly because Frodo failed, in the end, to refuse the ring's influence. Frodo himself did not throw the ring into the fires of Mount Doom and, in fact, it was his "shadow" Gollum who is responsible for the ring's destruction. So, because Frodo did manage to destroy the ring of power, however accidental its destruction might have been (Gollum stumbling backward into the fires of Mount Doom), he was partly successful. I feel as though another interesting topic of debate would be whether Gollum then is actually a hero. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    I definitely agree that Frodo partially succeeded because the goal was accomplished but not how it was planned. Even though the ring was destroyed it technically was not even destroyed by Frodo so I do agree with this perspective. This question is also definitely a really tough one, which is probably why it was the debate topic this week, and I think there's no definite answer.

    -Frodo

    ReplyDelete