I personally really loved the blog and the pseudonymity. For someone who is more shy, this felt like a really safe space for me to share my ideas.
This blog, I think we can all agree, has lead to some really interesting discussions that I'm so glad I could be a part of. I loved that we had prompts we could speak to but also we could talk about something that interested us from the reading. That kind of freedom is a big reason why I like taking honors courses. I think this blog format was the best way to hold these kinds of discussions because it makes it easy to comment on someone's thoughts.
The pseudonymity was really beneficial to me because it gave me the freedom to share my ideas without my social anxiety creeping in. I felt that I could be more open and honest about what I thought than if I had to post under my own name.
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
I completely agree. I love that this blog allows us to share our thoughts on pretty much anything and remain anonymous to the class. It really gives the freedom to talk about whatever you want without worrying what others will think of you because of it. I wish we had this sort of thing for every class or for UNM in general.
ReplyDelete