Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Romantic Love in LOTR

It is only near the end of The Lord of the Rings that Tolkien chooses to include any developed presentation of romantic love.  The rest of the series deals with love between friends and comrades, but not between potential spouses. The entire story could have easily omitted any full discussion
of romantic love between men and women.  So why does Tolkien choose to include it in this last book of the series?  What is his purpose in presenting this kind of love at all?  Of what importance is this kind of love in Tolkien's moral schema?

1 comment:

  1. I really think there are too many novels, myths, and tales that really engulf love into their stories, making people seek the ending between the love interests, rather than anyone else. I think Tolkien purposely omitted them because sensual and romantic love was never an important factor in these stories, it was friendship and bonding. This was all about self-love and love for others, not about romantic feelings. I really liked these books because they never focused on romantic involvement, and I really enjoyed the boks more, knowing there wasn't going to be a predictable ending. I think in the end, friendship love will outlast any type of romantic love in some way

    ReplyDelete