Saturday, March 21, 2020

The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II, Chs 2-5 Narrative Choices Part II

For this exercise, I was torn between two alternative options I considered for the bridge scene. Either Aragorn or Boromir managed to reach Gandalf before he fell or because they were out on the bridge when it broke, all three fell.  
I decided to go with the latter, having all three fall down into the abyss together. Legolas must rally the others and get them out of Moria. 
As per our class discussion, a lot of people wanted to keep the fellowship together. In my alteration, I actually tore the fellowship apart even more, much earlier on. Obviously, this would have drastic effects on the rest of the story. A more significant amount of the company, if not all left, might have gone with Frodo, as he wouldn’t have had that nudge from Boromir to rush off and leave. All the help the individual communities, like Rohan, got from the members of the fellowship would probably never happen. Additionally, because Legolas would be propelled to take on a leadership role, his and Gimli’s friendship might never have blossomed. Aragorn would not have been able to grow as a leader as we saw him do. And Boromir might possibly have come out alive, very changed, along with Gandalf and Aragorn. It’s quite shocking to see just how much would be altered if even one slight thing was changed. It was very interesting to explore the different options Tolkien could have chosen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment