This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Monday, March 16, 2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Rant
While this may be a bit off-topic with regard to the main theme of the course, we have discussed the coronavirus in class. I am completely for social distancing and quarantine if need be, and I do not think that this disease should just be dismissed or ignored, but the widespread hysteria-influenced hoard-like shopping is really, really frustrating. People are acting out of fear which is then scaring everyone else, perpetuating a cycle of hysteria that will not benefit anyone. Hoarding toilet paper isn't going to protect you from the Coronavirus and neither is an abundance of canned goods. People need to practice caution by continuously washing their hands, avoiding large crowds, and getting tested if they show symptoms of the disease. Sorry for this probably long-winded rant but it just feels as though things are getting out of hand because of sensationalism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you. Now is the time for working together, kindness, and helping each other-- not for selfishness
ReplyDeleteSince the very beginning of this break out, and the way it rapidly grew in seriousness, the Coronavirus pandemic has reminded me strikingly, and exceedingly eerily, of the 2011 movie Contagion. Obviously, the made-up virus in Contagion was much deadlier, but the similarities between the movie and what has been happening all around us I don’t think can be ignored. I recently re-watched it and many of the sentiments from the beginning of the movie were echoed exactly from real life. It’s very spooky.
ReplyDeleteAnd I one hundred percent agree with the irritation over this hoarding phenomenon. It’s ridiculous and just inspires other people, who wouldn’t have, at first, been inclined to do so, to horde as well. I literally saw a woman who, when toilet paper was put out in my local grocer, took 2 packets when there’s signs everywhere asking people to please only take ONE. I took one, despite the fact I was shopping for my grandmother and I needed some as well. I just didn’t get one for myself, to ensure others had access to it as well. Hopefully people will soon realize there isn’t a need for such behavior, and it will cease.