Hello, all!
I have noticed that many of Tolkien's stories seem to be very consistent with one another with tone but then you'll occasionally come upon moments or entire lives that seem... out of place almost? Like, Tolkien's world definitely feels real (otherwise not as many people would be so obsessed!) but I feel like you can tell when he was writing the main body of certain tales in his life depending on how it feels. For example, Beren and Lúthien overall is almost a feel-good love story that makes you feel the power of love and gives you the feeling that love really can help you achieve the impossible. It seems as if their story was written whenever Tolkien felt love sick for his wife. However, with Túrin Turambar you can tell that many parts of the story were written right after WWI because it has a much darker, bloodier overtone with many battles and young men becoming responsible and scarred at young ages and cities doomed to fall no matter what, etc. I feel as if this is a reflection of the real world at times. We of course have our own issues, and sometimes we feel as if we defeat the impossible through love or friendship, or we go on life-altering quests where we feel we can never return home, but other times some of our lives are tragic the entire time and yet the person persists, and I suppose it can become crystal clear just how much Tolkien is influenced by real life.
Although it makes me wonder - what events did Tolkien see, or experience, or hear about that inspired him to write the events of Lord of the Rings? Was it many things? Of course, Frodo's story is very relateable of course in a strange way but given as you can tell the sources of inspiration for his other tales, I am wondering where Frodo's tale (and the Fellowship) came from. Or could it have just been from his creativity?
That's all,
Elendil
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
I think some of it came from before the war actually. The Fellowship itself may have come from his group of friends at college. My guess is that the LOTR with all of its ups and downs came from the ups and downs of Tolkien's life. It's a story that takes place over many years so why would it only come from one event in Tolkien's life? I think he drew from many different times in his life for LOTR. Certain events might be easy enough to point out something similar from his life, but the story overall I think is just Tolkien.
ReplyDelete