Hello all!
So we discussed a lot this week in class what we would change in Lord of the Rings and how that would affect the story. Many people came up with some really creative and interesting ways on how they would change the story. Their versions would all probably be wonderful books but the thing is if we changed any aspect of his stories we would end up having to alter a lot which would cause his stories to lose their Tolkienness. By this I mean they would lose the key aspects that make his books what they are which include fellowship, characters that are REAL, fantasy that is taken seriously, and hundreds of connection to his life and other works.
I did think these exercises this week were interesting and very informative because it made me realize how much I would miss the original version of Tolkien's works if we changed them. In conclusion I appreciated the exercises for what they taught me but I would not change Tolkien's stories ever.
Thank you!
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
I completely agree! I think that if changes were made, The Hobbit would no longer be The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings wouldn't be The Lord of the Rings. It's also really awesome to see how important every single aspect of Tolkien's stories truly is. Finally, I really like your use of "Tolkienness," I think that's the perfect word lol.
ReplyDelete