Hey everyone!
This is just a fun little exercise I thought might be interesting. I was wondering how the members of the fellowship would react to a pandemic (I am putting this before the events of LOTR).
My thought was that Frodo and Sam would probably limit their social interaction just a little, but in the end would still go out and spend time with friends for the most part. Merry and Pippin wouldn't change their habits at all. Merry might try to convince Pippin that they should, but eventually would agree that everyone's reactions are a bit extreme. Gandalf would probably be the one running around warning everyone and would end up getting the virus himself. Aragorn would probably find disappear into the wild until it was over, he might help Gandalf warn people for a while though. Boromir would be out preaching to his people that they needed to remain isolated and spreading the news through Gondor. He would also end up with the virus which would most likely kill him. Gimli would help the dwarves isolate their entire community so no one could get in or out and spread the virus. The dwarves would escape unscathed. I also think Legolas would do something similar and the elves of Mirkwood would be untouched by the virus. This is just what I thought they might do. Please comment down below and let me know what you think they would do!
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
I originally was thinking "oh, yeah, all the hobbits in the Shire will be totally fine, they have super well stocked pantries and they're all pretty healthy and chill" - and then I realized there is No Way the hobbits would stop having group meetings. Social isolation in the Shire? Might as well skip second breakfast at this point, the world's gone crazy if they're telling hobbits to stop being social!
ReplyDelete