This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Friday, March 27, 2020
Short Blog this Week from Me
So starting to write this, I am not sure what to write this blog about in all honsety. I've seen people talking about Tolkien and Covid-19, posts about Sir Gawain, and a few other things. We talked at the end of our last in person class that this was like the breaking of the fellowship. It interesting that it happened in that way, each one of us having to go to a differnt place, but we are still able to talk and communicate with each other. In that way, I hope that no one gives up hope in this. Even if the fellowship split, they still completed the task and the quest was successful. Even if our own quest does not continue the way we thought it would, we must still have the strength to continue, because in the end, the quest will be successful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love comparing the fellowship from The Lord of the Rings to our class. I definitely think that our class is similar because we all share a goal and, sadly, we had to separate because of extenuating circumstances. I am really hopeful for what the future holds and I'm excited to continue this course with everyone!
ReplyDeleteThis comparison between the fellowship of the ring and our class is super intriguing to me. It makes me wonder how things would have been different for the fellowship if they had a means to keep in communication after being split up, like our class has been. I envision Pippin and Merry letting the others know to follow the clues they’ve left and finding a way to let them know they’re still alive, sporadically, so that Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are still freaking out over them, just slightly less so. I think Frodo and Sam would maintain radio silence with the rest, so they’d be uninformed about what’s happening with the rest and the others would not know where they were, so that part would go pretty much the same with the difference of the others desperately trying to get in contact with them to make sure they’re okay. Then, they’d all get too busy with everything they’re doing to keep in contact. The way I imagine it would not change the story much, but it’s interesting to consider.
ReplyDeleteGuys I think it is no coincidence that we talked about the breaking of the Fellowship on what was pretty much our last day of class. It is sad because we won't be seeing each other and talking face-to-face. However, if we're comparing it to the books, we might all be reunited at some point! I like how Elwing pointed out that we can still communicate, unlike the Fellowship, who had only hope that the others were alright.
ReplyDelete