Monday, February 3, 2020

I am Goldberry, daughter of the River

Hello! I am Goldberry, daughter of the River. I am the wife of Tom Bombadil, the Master, and live with him at the edge of the Old Forest. Very few people know very much about either me or my husband. Many suspect that I am a river spirit of the Withywindle. Every year Tom Bombadil goes and gathers the last water-lilies of the summer, so that I might bathe my feet among them, at the pool where he found me. He found me sitting there in the rushes singing. And sing I still do.

This is how my husband and I became briefly involved in the adventures of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and the Ring. While he was on this annual errand, he came across the poor hobbits in a bit of trouble with Old Man Willow. He soon put everyone in their right place and brought the hobbits and their ponies to our house, where I greeted them with song. We spent many a day singing and eating and being merry before we sent them along their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment