Good morning! You don’t seem to be from around here; have you perhaps come from across the Brandywine? The name’s Elanor, Elanor Gamgee (an Elvish flower found in Lothlorien, if you didn’t know). I was born in the Fourth Age (according to Gondor’s reckoning, anyhow) after my father, Samwise Gamgee, helped Frodo Baggins destroy the One Ring. After Frodo departs over the sea with Bilbo Baggins, my father returned home and became Mayor of the Shire for seven consecutive years. During that time the King of Gondor and Arnor (Aragorn, or Strider as mentioned in the Red Book) came to Brandywine Bridge and met my father, at which time I became a maid of honor to the Queen. My parents and I journeyed to Gondor a few years after that, I married Fastred after that, and we settled down in Undertowers in the Westmarch, there now! After the death of Rose, my father departed over the sea, but not before passing the Red Book on to me. Care to see it? It is called the Red Book of Westmarch now…
Goodness, that took a bit of time to write. At first, I thought it would be quite a short blog post, given that Elanor was only 6 months old at the end of The Return of the King. However, after reading the extensive appendices I now stand corrected! I am pleasantly surprised from the experience. I knew Tolkien had created an incredibly detailed world through The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings; however, I did not realize how much information could be gleaned after the alleged last page of the story. Truly, there is always more to the story after the, “’Well, I’m back’”.
No comments:
Post a Comment