Saturday, February 15, 2020

Exercise for Chapter 18

Exercise for Chapter 18 -- from Atlin

In regards to my chapter of The Hobbit which we didn't get to in class, I've copied the notes I made in class below (I didn't have a partner for this activity). 

  1. List Specific Examples of themes
    1. Thorin and Bilbo come to good terms before Thorin's death 258
    2. Dain becomes king under the mountain 261
    3. Peace around the Lonely Mountain between Men, Dwarves, and Elves 261
    4. Bilbo turns down much of his treasure, shows humility of the hobbits and their strength of character, also their ability to withstand the temptation of power and riches 262
    5. Beorn gains territory, sets the stage for Beornlings of LOTR 263
    6. Last view east of the mountains 264
    7. Departure of eagles 260
  2. Select 2 different themes
    1. Bilbo turning down the gold (most of it)
      1. Because of Bilbo's bravery,  Dain offers him a large share of  gold and treasure for his keeping. Bilbo turns it down, accepting only two small chests. Although logistically this is obviously a more manageable amount of gold, I guarantee a man, elf, or dwarf, would not have given away their share of treasure so easily. I know if I was in Bilbo's shoes, I would still take all of my gold, even if I don't know what to do with it, I would try to figure something out. This also demonstrates that hobbits are less easily corrupted by the thought of riches and power. Bilbo was more concerned with going back home than he was about becoming wealthy. This helps explain why Bilbo could survive so long as a ring-bearer and why Frodo was strong enough to bear it as well.
    2. Peace around the Mountain
      1. The end of the battle ushers in a time of great prosperity to the mountain, and improves the relations of all the surrounding communities. I believe this is only possible because of Dain's generosity. Everybody felt like a winner in the situation. If Dain would have felt attached to every piece of gold as Thorin was, this peace would not have occurred. A good explanation for why Dain was generous was because of how victory would not have been possible without each community banding together to defeat a common enemy. The prosperity of Dain also finds its way into LOTR, although it is mentioned that Dain and Bard are both killed in Return of the King. But the strength of their community provides a much needed distraction and serves to preoccupy many of Sauron's resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment