Tuesday, February 11, 2020

nature vs. technology

I've reached the point in Two Towers where Marry and Pippin make friends with Treebeard and it made me think about a discussion that we had in class about Tolkien's love for nature and perspective on technology.

Tolkien apparently loved the beauty of nature. The bad guys in LOTR are often described as mechanical  (Saruman having "a mind like metal and wheels"). Saruman's destruction of Fangorn Forest shocks Treebeard and other Ents into action. Through the continued reference of industry and war as synonymous, especially in relation to Saruman and the production of his army, Tolkien presents a very negative image of industry and technological advancement. When looking into Galadriel's mirror Frodo witnesses a polluted world of industry and factories, adding to the negative view expressed towards industry and technology.

I found it very interesting to read over some of these sections after having this discussion in class. I felt that it enhanced my reading experience quite a bit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment