Hello everyone!
I remember Dr. Donovan asking us in class the importance of Tolkien's art and it got me thinking. Tolkien obviously had a reason behind creating the artwork for his books but what is that reason? I personally feel like he creates his art in order to almost create a draft of what he wants the world and the story to look like. We have seen in multiple art reports how he has created several different versions of his different pieces and they all have a few elements that are different whether they be time of day or the layout of the image. All his art does depict scenes and imagery from his books but most of the time it seems like the art and his writing also don't match up. this makes me think that he created his art to kind of plan out his stories instead of writing a million rough drafts. It kind of makes me think of that saying "a picture is worth a thousand words". I also believe it made it easier for Tolkien to visualize scenes/images from his books after he mapped it out by painting/drawing it.
-Frodo
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
This makes total sense! I also really liked that you tied in your thoughts with the phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words." I think that saying applies perfectly to Tolkien's thought process, why he created so many drafts of his works, and why there are some inconsistencies between the drawings and the stories themselves. Great post!
ReplyDelete