Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Hands of a Healer

While I was reading the last part of book 5 I was drawn to the point made by Ioreth (a healer); "The hands of the king are the hands of a healer. And so the rightful king could ever be known." (Chapter 8). 

I think it is interesting to look at this in the context of what Tolkien's vision of an ideal ruler is. We have seen how he values kings that ride into battle with their troops in Theoden and Aragorn, and now we see that he associates leadership with the ability to heal. 

Aragorn does a lot of healing throughout the Lord of the Rings; he helps to care for Frodo's wound from the Nazgul when they were traveling to Rivendell, he treats Frodo's bruise from the orcs in the Mines of Moria, and now he basically brings three people back from the dead. 

I also think it is interesting that he seems to heal more than just Eowyn, Faramir, and Merry's bodies' but he also heals their minds. In their unconscious state, he calls to them "each time more faintly to [the observers'] hearing, as if Aragorn himself was removed from them, and walked afar in some dark vale, calling for one that was lost." (chapter 8). Clearly, Aragorn possesses some form of magic. Whether it be from his Numenorean ancestry or from his role as king, I'm not sure. 

This idea could also stem from Tolkien's own religious background. To me, Aragorn is very reminiscent of Jesus Christ in these chapters as he heals. The prophecy is that the people will know the true king by his healing powers and the same was foretold of Christ before He came to earth.

2 comments:

  1. Yes this a good point. J. R. R. Tolkien seems to put a lot of emphasis on Aragorn's healing abilities, even from book one. I agree that this could possibly stem from his christian background. The bible has many stories of miracles, most of which were used to heal people who had given up hope or were mortally ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, I had been aware of Aragorn's healing, but never really pieced together how often he is shown being a healer of mind and body. I think it is also interesting that in his efforts to fight against the evil that has overtaken and corrupted the land, he fights for the healing of nature as well. I'm sure that Tolkien would also want an ideal leader to care greatly for the environment.

    ReplyDelete