This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Thursday, March 5, 2020
Thoughts on Multimedia Projects
After wrapping up all of the multimedia projects today, I noticed a lot of similar themes in each story discussed. The writing style of all the stories is quite a bit denser than The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, perhaps because some of them were published posthumously and Tolkien was not finished with them. What stuck out to me the most was the significance of World War I in Tolkien's life and how strongly it directly influenced the stories. Tolkien invested a lot more of his personal life and experiences into his writing than I initially thought. The story of Beren and Luthien or Turin Turambar are based on his life's story and things that he witnessed firsthand. I am taking another class on screenwriting and we have been studying how writers generally make stories directly from their personal experiences. I suppose that most writers are sharing their experiences through their work. I think it is admirable that Tolkien used even his negative life experiences to share stories of hope with the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is very interesting that we all let our personal experiences affect our writing and perspective on the world. I suppose this is one of the reasons why people can come together and have any type of scholarly conversation at all. If we weren't influenced by the unique life that we live, there would be no reason to talk at all I suppose. The fact that everyone has a slightly different point of view is the driving force behind advancing new ideas.
ReplyDelete