In class on Thursday, we all discussed essentially redacting pieces of information without changing or altering the story. I think this type of redacting would be fun to do to the whole book. People redact for a living, getting the cut-and-dry or need-to-know on important documents.
If someone were to actually redact, or maybe even multiple, I would be interested to see what people would redact. A fun experiment would to have a side-by-side redaction with someone with little Tolkien knowledge, versus someone like Dr. Donovan, and see what would come out of their redactions.
Tolkien is known for his vivid imagery, and I would be intrigued to see how much would get taken out and see how much we could still picture. I mean, it sucks that most people (like myself) put a lot of the imagery from the movies (still upset To Bombadil was not even MENTIONED) and not from their imagination; However, Tom is a perfect example. How important are certain things and characters when it comes to a need-to-know basis.
I guess I pose the question:
What would you expect to see redacted in both a noob and expert in Tolkien's work? Why?
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Its interesting that you talk about the movies and Tom being removed from them, and I think its an interesting comapareison between book and movie. You talked about how someone might remove the more descriptive passages to cut down the length, and in a way, thats what the movies do. They can cut down on the descriptions because of the visual aspect of the media. Thats a big reason that movies are a lot shorter than books (even if LotR is still a long movie collection).
ReplyDeleteIn regaurds to your question, I think it would depend on the person. I think a noob is more likely to cut a lot of the more lengthy description passages, but I dont think as much as one might expect, at least if they are a book person (I am assuming you mean noob only in terms of familiarity of Tolkien rather than not much of a reader haha). I think someone more familar with Tolkien's work would be less inclined to cut things, because the closer a person is to a topic, its probable the less they want to change (but some people like to change it a lot, and I guess thats where fanfiction comes into play).