But even as it fell, it swung its whip, and the throngs lashed and curled about the wizards knees, dragging him down to the brink. ”He staggered and fell, grasped vainly at the stone”(331) but this is all hope for him was slipping away, Frodo yelled out ‘Gandalf wait!’ a little hobbit flung himself toward the wizard. without second thought, Sam went with him grabbing Frodo’s feet as Frodo grabbed Gandalf’s arms. There size for the best of them though, and all three were now slipping. ‘what shall we do?’ cried Frodo in a panic. Just then, Aragorn and Boromir crawled along the crumbling bridge and grabbed hold of their feet. ‘With all your strength,hold on’ shouted Aragorn. Slowly and painfully, they pulled the three back from the brink, how lucky they were to be alive. The hobbits relieved, and exhausted. ‘what a foolish thing to have done’ scolded Gandalf, who to his frustration was unable to hide his sense of relief despite his anger. Soon, the group continued along in the darkness without another word for a long time.
I got a lot out of this exercise. For one, it was extremely fun try and put our own spin on such a pivotal scene. But more importantly, I think it highlights Tolkien's genius as a story teller. By actually trying to write a different ending, I feel like it demonstrated how much detail and story progression is affected by just one change.
I agree with your ending comments completely. I think its hard to really appreciate something until you try to recreate it yourself. This activity made me appreciate Tolkien even more than I already did.
ReplyDelete