Friday, February 21, 2020

Beowulf Freewrite

"For it is now to us itself ancient; and yet its maker was telling of things already old and weighted with regret, and he expended his art in making keen that touch upon the heart which sorrows have that are both poignant and remote" (pg. 33)

I think Tolkien really enjoyed "old" or "ancient" things because he always writes as though the events of the story have already occurred. In The Lord of the Rings, the book we know as the Hobbit is referred to as the "red book" which Bilbo wrote of his adventure to the Mountain and back. It is also mentioned that Frodo was to keep a record (mentally) of his adventure to tell Bilbo when he got back so it could be recorded. Also, when Bilbo and Frodo leave for the Grey Havens Frodo makes it Sam's responsibility to finish the record. To me, it seems that Tolkien was a fan of record-keeping and I wonder if he had a journal or diary. In "Farmer Giles of Ham" Tolkien, as the narrator, takes on the role of editor and translator of a very old legend. It seems that his experience in studying medieval literature really influenced the way he approached his stories.

1 comment:

  1. Celeborn,

    I can definitely agree that Tolkein lets his love of the ancient show through. I would argue it stems from his education actually! England and Scandinavia both have rich histories, and England with a long recorded one. Given he's trained in Medieval England it would make sense as to why he enjoys reading of long history long already happened. I also think it shows through as well though in The Simarillion. It's almost like a lore bible for The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Do you think his education could have influenced it?

    Elendil

    ReplyDelete