Sunday, February 16, 2020

Fate, Destiny, and Free Will

In The Hobbit I believe that fate and destiny are connected because to me they are virtually the same thing. The difference between the two I would say is that fate to me is more so how you die and is something that is discovered at the end of your life and destiny is your life's purpose. I also believe that characters are perceived to have free will but they really don't, it's just them subconsciously following their fate/destiny. For instance when Bilbo decided at the last second to join the company on their quest to Erebor that wasn't free will that was just his subconscious pushing him towards his destiny of becoming the owner of the One Ring and his fate of him passing the ring to Frodo and living a longer life than the average Hobbit. To me all three of these things are connected because the illusion of free will leads to your destiny and your destiny eventually leads to your fate.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting viewpoint. I especially like how you've defined your perception of destiny and fate. This is often a common debate between theologians. Many people argue that because God is "all knowing" he already knows who will go to heaven and hell. Others argue that God created man with free will and even those destined for hell can manifest their own fate with a change of heart. I'm sure this is also a topic regarding other religions, this is just the only example I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete