Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Why is Shelob a she?

Why does Tolkien choose to make Shelob, his most fully described image of evil, female? All of his other evil characters are male, why is it important to him that Shelob be female?

1 comment:

  1. I think duality between men and women is important to Tolkien. So in the early chapters of the Silmarillion Ungoliant is the feminine aspect of darkness who assists Morgoth so then once Sauron is the face of evil in Middle Earth Shelob is needed as his feminine foil. Even though they're less connected. While doing research for another project I found that Tolkien originally intended for the spider in Cirith Ungol to be Ungoliant. My guess is that he changed it so that none of the old powers were present in this third age story. Only their descendants and children. I also think that Tolkien does have some respect for women at least compared to some other authors so he had to make at least one villain female.
    Something else I think is important though is that obviously she takes the form of a spider. Now I don't know if Tolkien intended this at all but I always imagined that Shelob's lair is also her nest. So while she is evil and wants to eat frodo and all that; he is the one who went into her home. Maybe Tolkien intended for this to be some commentary on how the instincts of a mother to protect and nurture at all costs can be twisted into evil. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete