Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Tolkien's writing style

So I've been reading some other fantasy books while I've been stuck at home. One of my personal favorites series is called "age of fire" by E.E Knight. It's not very well known at all but I love it for its characters and world building.  One thing I don't like about it however is the writing. E. E Knight is a history professor and it really comes through in his writing. The story is meant to be a very in depth character study of three siblings and their relationship to the world around them but he writes the story almost like a dull history book. Like imagine if the entirety of the lord of the rings had been written like the Silmarillion. Large sections of time are left out and sometimes the characters have these super important emotional moments that are just glossed over especially in the last three books of the series. However I still love these books because the first two are so good and I've become so attached to the characters.
However while I've been rereading the age of fire series I couldn't help but imagine just how wonderful they would have been if they'd been written in Tolkien's style. He is able to strike such a good balance between contextualizing the characters and events into his massive world and also allowing you to personally connect with them. The material he is writing is full of made up words and complicated fantasy rules and different speech patterns but Tolkien's writing is still very manageable despite all this. And that's why the lord of the rings is a worldwide bestseller while the weird, badly written fantasy books I like are relegated primarily to my bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment