Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Subgroup: Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol

I thought that this was an interesting point in today's lecture so I thought I would expand on it. I know everyone always gives Frodo crap for not really doing much and Sam pretty much pulling all the weight in Mordor. However, after reading "Mount Doom", I think it's important to recognize the absolute agony that Frodo has to deal with as the ring bearer. Talking about this in class made me realize:

  1. How relatively resistant the hobbits are to the corruption of the ring
  2. The different levels of corruption each member of the party has endured.
Smeagol bared the ring the longest and as a result has been almost completely corrupted. However, being a hobbit, there is still some part of him that has not been corrupted. Frodo has bared the ring the second longest out of the group, and as a result has more pity on Smeagol. He understands the turmoil that Smeagol is going through without the ring. Lastly, Sam bared the ring the least. Sam did however bear the ring for a small amount of time and felt it's effects intensify upon entering Mordor. 

   

2 comments:

  1. As someone who is guilty of giving Frodo crap about not doing much and his general whineyness, your post really struck me. Before reading the books and having this class it never really resonated how much Frodo was dealing with while carrying the Ring. It literally has to fight it every second of every day while he has it, and even afterwards he is fighting the risidual affects of the Ring. I now feel so much compassion for Frodo because I too have to fight for my happiness and good spirits every day. He may not be doing anything outwardly productive, but inwardly he is fighting his own battle and we have to give him credit for that.

    I also like how this illuminates Sam's character as well. He seems to understand to an extent that Frodo is fighting a hidden battle because he never gets upset with Frodo for sleeping so often and not making food. This is another great example of how friends are supposed to be, we recognize the pain of others and do everything in our power to make the battle easier for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is exactly what makes the One Ring and its ability to corrupt so frightening. It is a silent but persistent source of pain and inner turmoil. Since Frodo seems fine being in possession of the ring at first, we kind of expect him to be fine with it the entire way. But since its influence is increasing silently, we forget the kind of toll this must b taking on him.

    ReplyDelete