In book four on page 618, Frodo extracts a promise from Gollum to help him and Sam get into Mordor. Frodo asks that Gollum promise by the Ring rather than on it as Gollum had initially wanted to, saying that a direct line of connection to the Ring would be detrimental for Gollum. Eventually, Gollum promises saying, "We promise, yes I promise . . . I will serve the master of the Precious."
This was interesting to me because the quick change from using 'we' to refer to himself to 'I' could be initially seen as a typo, however, later on in the book we see that it is actually a clever way to let the audience know when Gollum was speaking truthfully.
On page 643, Frodo notes "that Gollum used I, and that seemed usually to be a sign, on its rare appearances, that some remnants of old truth and sincerity were for the moment on top.
We already know that getting any information out of Gollum is extremely difficult. At the Council of Elrond Gandalf tells how he struggled with Gollum for many days until he got something even remotely helpful out of the creature. Because Frodo and Sam are now relying on Gollum to take them safely into Mordor it is important that we know we, and the characters, can trust him to a certain extent. If the characters couldn't trust him at all then the travel into Mordor would take longer, or they would end up going in through the front gate because they don't trust Gollum has another way, which would lead to their deaths
This discussion forum is hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
I don't think this quite clicked with me when I read it for the first time! It's amazing the tiny details that mean so much in LoTR. Thinking about it, it's very uncommon for Gollum to use the word "I". The only times that I can remember were in sincere conversations where it was more "Smeagol" talking than Gollum.
ReplyDeleteYes I totally agree with you. It is really interesting noticing little details like this. If I were to put my best guess to it, it would be that when Gollum uses "I" it generally means that is Smeagol talking and when he says "we" or "us" it is more Gollum. Without Smeagol there is no Gollum, but if Gollum were to not exist, Smeagol would still be there.
ReplyDelete