Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Holidays in Middle-earth

Seeing as we've just come off of a Thanksgiving Break, and soon to be in a Winter Break, during which Christmas and New Years will occur, alongside other Holidays such as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. I feel that it is a pertinent topic to discuss some of the Holidays within Middle-earth.

Through the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit we hear of only a few. Durin's Day is one, celebrating the Dwarvish New Year, Yule 1 and Yule 2, and Mid-Year's Day are others that we hear of being celebrated in the Shire.

My questions unto you is three fold. First, what do you think Holiday traditions are like within the Shire, Rohan, Gondor, Imladris, etc.? Secondly, since we hear so little of other Holidays and many days pass without mention within the stories, do you think there are traditional holidays within the many cultures that we never hear about? If so, what might they be like?

1 comment:

Nessa said...

I love this question! I imagine holidays in the Shire being excuses to take a day off work and picnic together out of doors or gather together for meals in the town hall.

As for other, unmentioned holidays, for some reason I imagine Rohan having an overabundance of feast days! I bet their holidays go unmentioned because every few weeks there is a day dedicated to feasting and merrymaking. This is probably because I connect them with the Vesi and therefore the Romans for some inexplicable reason, and the Romans had a holiday basically every day. I'm not sure how they could afford a feast every week, but I bet Rohan would do the same.

Gondor on the other hand, would have more rigid, formal holidays with specific traditions. I think their holidays would be large and few.

I'm not sure about elves!