Saturday, August 22, 2015

Brainstorm About Mythmaking



One defining characteristic of myths that was discussed today in class was power. While this was not something that my group and I thought of during our brainstorm, it immediately spoke to me when I saw it on the board. Hugely fascinating to me are the power dynamics at play within various theologies and dogmas. Considering the interconnectedness of myth and religion I was surprised that I hadn’t thought of “power” myself as a response to the prompt.
Conflict was one characteristic that went uncontested as a central theme within myths. The foundation of conflict is arguably power: who gets to call the shots and the various details of this responsibility. Another uncontested characteristic was morality, or good and evil. Certainly power underlies this relationship as well; both the hero and the villain seek to gain control of the given situation.
The centrality of power is observable across many mythic traditions. Greek mythology immediately comes to mind for the petty and pervasive power struggles between the various gods and goddesses. Within Tolkien’s Middle Earth the desire for power is manifested in the One Ring, the control of which becomes the driving force behind the entire Trilogy. Power, I think, can be argued as the main motivation for many decisions and actions, both in mythology and life

No comments: