Thursday, April 18, 2013

Húrin and Morwen

This is a bit late in coming, but I finally finished writing a poem. It's a little different from the passage in Children of Húrin that I based it off of, but I thought I'd throw it up here on the blog anyways. I really loved the alliterative style that Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is written in, so I tried for that sort of thing. The poem turned out more melodramatic than I wanted, but, as it turns out, even the remotest kind of alliterative style is hard to write, even when you're not making any of it rhyme! But, of course, Tolkien was able to translate Sir Gawain from Middle English, make it alliterative, and rhyme the last four lines (a-b-a-b) of every stanza.

Now Húrin, heavy from Morgoth's hardship
And torment, took the road to Túrin's last stand -
To where the black sword spoke and slaughtered him there.
There Morwen sat in mourning, a mother childless
Against the grave of son and daughter, grey hair
And stare of sorrow in a sunken face.
Húrin took her tenderly in his arms until
Night fell, and nodding there he knew
That with the morning, Morwen to Man's fate would go.
The sun rose and she slipped from world's circle,
But her face, now free of family's grief,
Rested, released in the rays of the East.
"In her death she was not defeated," Húrin declared,
And carefully caressed her face, closed her eyes.

3 comments:

Ashley Cauley said...

This is cool! I really like that part in the book. Tolkien sure knew how to make the last sentence draw tears from your eyes, and you did a good job conveying that emotion. The alliterative style is very interesting.

Megan said...

I hate you so much. This totally made me cry.

Which is to say, good job! I really like the alliteration, and you make Morwen's end a very happy one.

Anna Adams said...

Very nice! I was going to write a poem, but I doubt I'm going to get around to it now. Anyway, good job, Lorin!