Wednesday, February 13, 2013

With our discussion of "On Fairy-stories," I could not help being reminded of my favorite video game of all time, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. There is something about the world of Hyrule which seems to be deeply related to the theme of subcreation within Tolkien's own works. It is a place of magic, adventure and mystery, with a creation story very similar to that of Middle-earth as told in the Silmarillion. After finishing the remainder of the reading for tomorrow's class, I realized that Escape is probably one of the primary reasons Tolkien's stories and places like the Kingdom of Hyrule mean so much to me. They allow me to leave myself behind in the confines of the 'real world' and enter Faërie, even if it is just for a short while.

1 comment:

Lorin said...

I totally agree - and I think Escape is something that's actually pretty big in a lot of fantasy/sci-fi stories, TV shows, etc. nowadays (especially ones I'm a fan of, haha). I mean, with almost everything from Harry Potter to Doctor Who, I've constantly heard people wishing they could visit Hogwarts or travel with the Doctor, just because life nowadays can be so confining. I think Escape has become something a lot more acceptable to popular culture today than to the culture Tolkien described who turn their noses up at those who long for Escape rather than "Real Life."