Thursday, February 28, 2013

Prophecy heightening drama

So I had chapter two in class today, and the two moments I chose both had hints of future events which I felt heightened the dramatic impact quite a bit. The part where Turgon is being urged to flee is pretty dramatic just because of the moment itself, but I felt the added part where Maeglin heard the words and "did not forget them" heightened the drama of the moment. I haven't read further in the book but I'm guessing it's significant? Even if it isn't, that part portrays the intensity of the moment.

I also chose the moment at the end when Morgoth worries about Turgon escaping and seems to know that his ruin will come from him. This sounded prophetic to me, but again, I haven't read any further in the book yet so I don't know.

Were there any other moments where Tolkien hinted at the future that you guys felt added to the drama? I'm guessing this doesn't just happen in chapter two.

2 comments:

Ashley Cauley said...

I think Tolkien definitely uses prophecy/foreshadowing/looking toward the future to create drama. Even in "The Hobbit" he says things like: that wasn't the last time Bilbo would think of his hobbit hole, etc. Also, this device of foreshadowing is really common in tragedies (in case you all haven't figured it out, "The Children of Húrin" is a tragedy!). I think it helps the reader feel dramatic irony and really connect with the characters. If there are hints that the character is making a mistake the reader is encouraged to think critically about what that means not only for the character but for the rest of the story as well.

Richard Wentworth said...

I thought the appearance of Turgon at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears was foreshadowed a bit when Hurin and Huor are in Gondolin.

"For Turgon took great liking for the sons of Galdor, and spoke much with them; he wished indeed to keep them in Gondolin out of love, and not only for his law that no stranger, be he Elf or Man, who found the way to the secret kingdom or looked upon the city should ever depart again, until the King should open the leaguer, and the hidden people come forth."

Although I guess the city is still hidden after the battle, but the people certainly came forth.