Thursday, February 28, 2013

Heightened Drama from Chapter One of Children of Hurin

How Tolkien Creates a sense of heightened drama: Chapter 1 (The Childhood of Turin)

I didn't really get around to fully sharing my ideas on the event of Turin giving Sador his Elf-wrought knife. Turin and Sador, an old woodman who cut his foot, become good friends after the death of Turin's sister, Lalaith. For his birthday, Turin receives a very nice Elf-made knife from Hurin, which he promptly gives to Sador, which made Turin very happy ("[his] heart was a warmth like the warmth of the sun upon the cold earth that sets growth astir"). However, Hurin and Morowen find out about the gift and are not quite so pleased. There is an element of foreshadowing when Hurin tells Turin, "An honest hand and a true heart maw hew amiss; and the harm may be harder to bear than the work of a foe." Tolkien uses this passage and the descriptive language to help the reader fully understand Turin's character, and also gives the reader a sense of foreboding of what is to come.

I haven't read the past the assigned reading yet, but I am very anxious to find out what happens to Turin, and how his kindness and selflessness might be his downfall.

1 comment:

Troy Wells said...

I have theory about the strange comment Morwen makes after Turin's parents discover that he gave his new knife to the servant. Unfortunately I cannot divulge it because I do not want to spoil anything for you, but I strongly advise you to keep that strange "motherly" comment in the back of your head as we read further.