Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Full Alternative Story for the Silmarillion, Chapter 16, page 137:

... Eol took Turgon's hand. "I acknowledge your law, yet it pains me that I should not return to my own land. Yet, I wish not to be punished under your law, thus I must remain. I only wish to be with my wife and son, even if these, my enemies, did slay my kin and now hold me against my will."
   Then Turgon spoke in a mighty and stern voice from his throne. "Eol, you have, with the union with my sister, become my own kin and one with our people of this land. The quarrels past are no longer between you and I. My word  is law - it is very wise that you should choose life in abiding in this kingdom rather than death attempting to flee."
   Eol looked into the eyes of King Turgon, and reluctantly bowed his head while silence echoed off the walls of the massive hall. Eol's eyes blazed red with frustration, yet he made no aggressive movements.
   Aredhel looked upon Eol with wonder. She felt relieved at his unexpected compliance, yet quietly disappointed by his presence. She extended her hand to Maeglin, who also remained silent.
   Therefore Eol lived in Turgon's kingdom, and kept a close watch on Maeglin as he grew older. Yet so close was Eol's eye on Maeglin that seldom could Maeglin depart from his father's watch. Maeglin grew quietly into a keen, dark elf, much like his father. He kept in shadows and quiet and wished to leave Turgon's land.

This version doesn't fit very well with Eol's character, as Eol was very stubborn and proud. However, this would have changed Maeglin's trajectory very much.
It was also quite difficult to write like Tolkien, even using the outline of what he had already written. He has a very unique style that is nearly impossible to fake.

Did others encounter similar issues writing alternative stories?

1 comment:

S. M. said...

Julie, I really like the dialogue you wrote in this scene. Turgon’s words have an excellent, regal sound to them, and you kept the exchange between the king and Eöl brief yet poetic.

I agree that it is hard to mimic Tolkien’s writing style. When I was doing this exercise in class, I found it hard not to use any adverbs at the beginning of sentences. As for writing a story with someone else’s characters, I don’t think it is possible to write a character exactly like the original author envisioned –but then again, the goal of a fanfiction is to present a story and its characters as the fan, not the author, sees them.