Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Negative Example

I really liked what Dr. Donovan said in class today about King Arthur being a negative example for Tolkien's works. As I read, I was finding it hard to draw many parallels between the two, although I was surprised in class today of how many there were that I missed. But I do see it more as a negative example, or Tolkien fixing and making better what Malory didn't quite do in King Arthur. I think that Tolkien takes some elements from King Arthur and developes them better. He makes them more subtle which I think makes it more realistic. For example, what was said in class today about Balin and Balan fighting being a parallel to the subtler fight between Faramir and Boromir for their father's approval. It ties it more the real world which I think is what Tolkien was going for, making it realistic.

3 comments:

Haleth said...

I think it ties more to the real world and the modern world. Even though LotR is set a long, long time ago, we can still see ourselves relating to the characters and their struggles. I can't say I felt exactly the same way about King Arthur and all of his knights and their adventures...

Miriel said...

Yes. Throughout this semester I have appreciated Tolkien's work so much more than in the passed. First by reading a variety of his works, and then reading stuff like King Arthur, and seeing how much better Tolkien wrote and composed his stories. He does many things better in my opinion. He develops the characters better, he creates a more dramatic conflict, and he uses the significant objects in a variety of interesting ways.

Fingolfin said...

I agree with what Miriel said. Even though I may not be reading things that Tolkien wrote, reading other works has given me a better idea of exactly what does and doesn't define Tolkien's work. The idea of King Arthur being a "negative example" only serves to better define Tolkien's mythology for us.