Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's ok that Frodo failed!

Debate drama aside, I just wanted to touch on the topic of today's debate--whether or not Frodo failed. I just wanted to say, that I'm more inclined to believe that Frodo was not capable of destroying the Ring and that he needed all the help he could get. I like that he isn't able to throw it in the mountain in the end. Had he been able to, The Lord of the Rings would not be the amazing quest story that it is. There has to be some sort of change in the protagonist, for better or for worse. Frodo's corruption at Mount Doom shows Frodo's change and is what causes him to leave Middle-earth.

2 comments:

Radagast said...

I would say that I agree with this. I also think that had Frodo just been able to throw the ring in at the end, it would have discounted the power of the ring. I mean how powerful is it if a little hobbit could carry it all that way and just chuck it into the fire? So, I think it sort of had to be that Frodo couldn't quite do it at the end.

Luthien said...

Yes - I agree with you both, to a certain extent. :) When I read RotK for the first time (before I had seen the movie), I was so shocked when Frodo decided to keep the Ring for himself! Of course, I was only, like, 11 or 12 at the time, but it was such a huge twist to the story that really makes it better, as a whole. It would've been WAAAY too easy for Frodo to just go and throw the Ring in.