Saturday, January 29, 2011

Going Home

This was something that we touched on in Thursday's class that I could really relate to. Bilbo always had the desire to have a great adventure and experience the world, but a part of him couldn't wait to get back home. Once he was back, he was very relieved but it was a big change because he himself had changed so much. He seemed quite content with this, however.
Whenever I go home, a part of me is saddened by the fact that it will never be the same again, partly because I will never be the same either. And when I venture out into the world, like Bilbo, I have an amazing time, but I always have that burning desire to be in my home, where everything is familiar and easy.

2 comments:

Aredhel said...

Nelson Mandela once said, "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered." I think Bilbo's return home was probably eye-opening to him: he comes back to the same Shire as an extremely different hobbit. He's had great adventures and experienced many things since he set out from Bag End. However, in discovering he is a changed hobbit, Bilbo understands he has finally discovered himself as he brings his Baggins and Took heritage to a balance.

Elwing said...

I think this will be interesting to return to when we get to the end of The Return of the King. When Frodo comes back to the Shire, he feels the most changed out of all four hobbits. In the end, he realizes that he can never really go home again.

"...I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them," (The Return of the King, Ch. IX).

Frodo has been too deeply changed to return to his normal life in the Shire. He is very mature in his realization that he must give up the land that he loves so dearly so that everyone else can enjoy it too.